Menu

Texas Hill Country Trail Region

Participant in the Texas Historical Commission's
Texas Heritage Trails Program

Uvalde: Fort Inge Historical Park


The site of the 1849 U.S. Calvary post, was inhabited by people and wildlife for thousands of years because of its protected location. Fort Inge (Camp Leona) is on the east bank of the Leona River a mile south of Uvalde in southern Uvalde County and was establised as a part of the first federal line of frontier forts in Texas. The site is dominated by Mount Inge, a 140-foot volcanic plug and archeological evidence indicates the place has been intermittently occupied since the Pre-Archaic period, about 6,000 B.C.


Location

  • County Road 375
  • Uvalde, Texas
  • 78801

Hours & Fees

  • Saturday-Sunday, 8 a.m.-8 p.m.

  • Adult: $2, Children: $1, or car: $5


Map & Directions

From downtown Uvalde take FM117 south towards Batesville. Turn left on FM 140 East. Turn right on County Road 375.


 

Texas State Historical Association logo
Read more about Fort Inge in the Handbook of Texas Online.