Menu

Texas Hill Country Trail Region

Participant in the Texas Historical Commission's
Texas Heritage Trails Program

Uvalde: Janey Slaughter Briscoe Grand Opera House


The restored and refurbished Victorian landmark was renamed for Texas First Lady Janey Slaughter Briscoe, the wife of Uvalde native Dolph Briscoe, who served as governor from 1973 until early 1979. The Briscoes never owned the building, but then-Congressman John Nance Garner bought the opera house in 1916 and his family later donated it to the city. The two-story Victorian building has arched windows, a copper roof, and a distinctive corner turret topped by a replica dragon weathervane. The original weathervane is displayed in the opera house’s visitor center, along with historical photographs, and artifacts from nearby Fort Inge, a mid-19th Century frontier fortress. The upstairs auditorium hosts live theater and musical performances.


Location

  • 104 W. North Street
  • Uvalde, Texas
  • 78801

Contact

Hours

  • Contact for current performance shedule and prices.


Map