Menu

Texas Hill Country Trail Region

Participant in the Texas Historical Commission's
Texas Heritage Trails Program

San Antonio : San Antonio National Cemetery


The original national cemetery site, which was part of San Antonio’s burying ground, was donated to the U.S. government by the city in 1867. The original deed was lost and the transfer never recorded, however. The city executed a new deed April 14, 1871, conveying approximately 1.89 acres of land to the United States. The first interments at San Antonio were the remains of Union soldiers removed from the city cemetery and outlying areas. Subsequent burials included unknown who had died on the western frontier. A total of 314 unknowns are buried in a common grave in Section H, marked with a monument inscribed “To the Unknown Dead.”


Location

  • 517 Paso Hondo Street
  • San Antonio , Texas
  • 78202

Contact

Hours & Fees

  • Daily, sunrise to sunset.

  • Free


Map