Menu

Texas Hill Country Trail Region

Participant in the Texas Historical Commission's
Texas Heritage Trails Program

Willow City: Willow City School


Little is known about the first Willow City schoolhouse, which was located on the Paulus Flat area near the Willow Creek. When R. C. Roberts came to the Community in 1876 he described the building as a log cabin, no floor, and having split long benches. The building at that time was used for school and church services. In 1881, that building was enlarged, and in 1890, after the original school building flooded away, a second building was constructed on higher ground. In 1905, the present building was built on even higher ground where it stands today. This two-story rock building has two rooms and a hallway downstairs and an auditorium and stage upstairs. The building and school grounds have served the Community for educating the young people, for holding business meetings, social gatherings and community events such as calf  roping and softball games. The Willow City School consolidated with Fredericksburg Independent School District at the end of school term 1960-61. The Willow City Community Club was organized May 12, 1961. Then, on April 19, 1999, the Friends of Gillespie County Country Schools organized of which Willow City School is a member. The Friends group works toward preservation of the country school buildings that still are in existence for community use. The Willow City School building and property is now owned by Gillespie County.


Location

  • 2501, 1323 W C Ranch Rd
  • Willow City, Texas
  • 78675

Contact

Hours & Fees

  • Group tours available by appointment.

  • Free


Map