Hondo was established in 1881 by the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway and named for El Arroyo Hondo, which translates as “Deep Creek.” In 1891, Hondo replaced Castroville as the Medina County seat, and two years later an impressive courthouse built of rusticated yellow limestone opened on the town square. Hondo made headlines in January, 1921, when the “Newton Boys,” outlaw brothers, hit two banks the same night and made off with more than $30,000. In 1942 the Hondo Air Base opened four months after the attack on Pearl Harbor. The base was built in only 90 days, and trained more than 14,000 navigators before it closed in 1945, then trained more pilots during the Korean Conflict. Now owned by the City of Hondo, the site is home to the South Texas Regional Training Center and South Texas Regional Airport.
This is header region content.